While having no combat effects, intelligence is most useful for mages, as it increases the number of spells they can memorize, as well as increasing their chance of learning a spell successfully. It increases the character's Lore skill and also affects many dialogue options if it is high enough (15+).
Permanent Gains Edit
Aside from increasing Intelligence with character points acquired at level up, The Nameless One has some opportunities throughout the game to increase his intelligence permanently:
- +1 from the 7th level Mage specialization
- +2 from the 12th level Mage specialization
- +1 from Ravel in her Maze. The chain starts off at Mebbeth's House in Ragpicker's Square. TNO has three options to reply with, and must choose either "Because I just want to know", or the unequivocally more advantageous reply, "Because I want power" (which ends up netting +1 Wisdom as well). This bonus is not immediately given; TNO must wait until the culmination of Mebbeth's question and TNO's answer in Ravel's Maze
- +1 from the Practical Incarnation in the Fortress of Regrets
- +2 from the Ancient Scroll
That makes the maximum permanent gain to intelligence possible +7, +4 without specializations, and +2 without the Ancient Scroll.
Equipment Bonuses Edit
Some tattoos grant a bonus to intelligence while equipped:
- +1, Tattoo of Insight
- +1, Tattoo of the Art (requires level 7 Mage specialization)
- +1, Tattoo of the Betrayer
- +2, Tattoo of Revelation (max. 1)
- +3, Tattoo of the Magi (requires level 7 and 12 Mage specialization)
Some accessories can also grant a bonus to intelligence while equipped:
- +3, Ring Zero
- Kasseg, Cerebral Parasite. Special: +3 to Intelligence, +1 to Wisdom. Given by Fhjull Forked-Tongue in the Outlands. Can receive more than one, but the bonus is limited to the number equippable at one time.
And some weapons:
- Axe of the Jester. Blacksmith Shop in Curst. Special: Random bonus or penalty to Intelligence and/or Wisdom, up to +2, when equipped.
- With respect to the Seventh and Eighth Circle of Zerthimon: Obviously one would have to wait for Nordom to join the party (and get back to Fell's and buy it). Once used and the Seal is accessed, one might need to wait for the Wisdom bonus to wear off before telling Dak'kon of the importance of the Eighth Seal to get the scrolls (although most of the game guides recommend maxing Wisdom for the Experience point benefits).
Equipment Penalties Edit
Some items actually lower intelligence:
Temporary Buffs Edit
These items grant a temporary buff to intelligence. They are consumed upon use.