In combat, strength affects a character's chance to hit a target (THAC0) and the damage inflicted.
Outside of combat, it influences how much he can carry and his ability to bash open doors and locked containers. It is also important for intimidating during conversations, which usually requires a score above 15.
|Strength value||To hit||Damage||Bash open||Weight allowance|
Aside from increasing Strength with character points acquired at level up, The Nameless One has some opportunities throughout the game to increase his strength permanently:
- +1 from the 7th level Fighter specialization
- +1 from the 12th level Fighter specialization
- +1, +2, or +3 from Vhailor at the Curst Prison. The amount is based on the number of Lawful Alignment points acquired. Lying is Chaotic, but is required numerous times for Adahn to exist. This makes it difficult (perhaps impossible) to get both the manifestation of Adahn and the maximum bonus from Vhailor.
- +1 from the Paranoid Incarnation in the Fortress of Regrets
- +2 from the Ancient Scroll
That makes the maximum permanent gain to strength possible +8, +6 without specializations and +4 without the Ancient Scroll.
Some tattoos grant a bonus to strength while equipped:
- +1, Tattoo of Might
- +1, Tattoo of the Warrior (requires level 7 fighter specialization)
- +1, Tattoo of Justice's Eye
- +1, Tattoo of the Betrayer
- +2, Tattoo of Greater Might
- +2, Tattoo of Ravel's Kiss
- +3, Tattoo of the Supreme Warrior (requires level 7 and 12 fighter specializations)
Some accessories also grant a bonus to strength:
- +1, Dread Bond
And some weapons:
Only Charisma and Strength can be gained through the use of spells.
- Level 2 Mage spells: Strength (Spell) and Power of One can raise Str to 18
- Level 4 Mage spell: Improved Strength can raise Str to 25
- +2, Whispering Flask